Due to recent decisions made at the World Radio Conference (WRC-15), many existing international channels will no longer be allowed for voice communication. These channels are being repurposed for the implementation of the VHF Data Exchange System (VDES). As part of Garmin's Q4 software release (by the end of this year), all Garmin VHF radios will receive a software update removing these channels from the international channel catalogues on the radios.
- VHF 110/110i
- VHF 115/115i
- VHF 210/210i
- VHF 215/215i
- VHF 215/215i AIS
- VHF 315/315i
- Cortex V1
If you are still using some of the channels that have been removed, these can be re-added to the channel list by hooking the VHF up to a PC and using the Garmin VHF SW and programming box. Contact us to order this product (010-12523-01).
Channels being removed from the international band:
- Duplex: 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 84, 85, 86
- Simplex: 1024, 2025, 1026, 2026, 2084, 1085, 2085, 1086, 2086
If you have an affected Garmin VHF radio connected to a Garmin chartplotter over a NMEA 2000 network, installing regular quarterly marine updates will automatically update the international channel catalog to remove the affected channels before the end of 2023.
Garmin's advice is to regularly update your system to be in accordance with these changes.
Please note the VHF 110/110i and VHF 210/210i radios are discontinued and will no longer receive updates over a NMEA 2000 network. You must use the Garmin VHF Radio Programmer PC application to remove the affected channels on these models. If you have an affected Garmin VHF radio that is not connected to a Garmin chartplotter or you would like to implement this change and remove these channels as soon as possible, you can use the official Garmin VHF radio programming cable and the Garmin VHF Radio Programmer PC application to update your radio and remove the affected channels.
- If you do not have an official Garmin VHF radio programming cable, you cannot use the following method to update the radio. Contact us to order this cable.
- The Cortex V1 is not compatible with the Garmin VHF programming cable and application. This model will receive a separate software update to comply before the end of 2023.
Updating the Radio Using the Garmin VHF Radio Programmer Application
- Connect the radio to your computer using the Garmin VHF radio programming cable according to the instructions in the VHF Dealer Programming Guide.
- After you have connected the radio to your computer, open the Garmin VHF Radio Programmer application.
- Follow the procedure in the VHF Dealer Programming Guide to establish communication with the connected radio in the VHF Radio Programmer application.
- Select Radio > Write to Radio to send the updated channel list to the connected radio.
- After the process is complete, select Radio > Compare to confirm that the programming was successful.
- If the compare function finds a discrepancy in the channels on the radio and in the programmer application, go back to step 3 and try again.
- After confirming that the programming was successful, disconnect the radio from the software and review the channel list to make sure that the affected channels are no longer available.